College-bound students tour possible campuses

Taylor Jackson

More stories from Taylor Jackson

Cougar Stars
February 6, 2014
Obama’s Syrian Problem
January 13, 2014

Looking into what colleges you’re interested in can be really helpful in making a decision on which school you would like to attend. There are so many things about each individual school that you’d have to do some research to learn. Going beyond the traditional college websites and attending college tours can help give you a whole different array of information concerning your ideal schools.

“I like the idea of college tours because I can see the campus and speak to people who are already attending the college, and just get first hand inside knowledge about the  college itself,” said junior Cheyenne Wells.

Some schools, such as Texas State University, located in San Marcos, Texas, offer days fully devoted to potential new students. “Bobcat Day” is led by current students of the university, who are given the task of showing new students into the realm of college life. The day contains various activities such as tours of the residence halls, a “Majors Fair” and a walking tour of the main campus. The tour guides take the time to answer every question and make sure everyone walks away informed.

“I feel like the school websites are usually written with bias, obviously to make the school look good, so I believe talking to students that actually attend the school is the best way to hear the pros and cons of attending said school,” said Wells. “College tours are definitely the way to go.”